Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Welcome to my blog

Being away from family and friends is really tough. Due to this unfortunate fact I have decided to start a blog to help keep everyone updated on Mike’s and mine life with our beautiful newborn daughter Peyton! Here is the story of how she was born!

Peyton was born on September 16th, 2010. She was due on the 28th, but decided to come early. I had gone into the Dr. for my 38 week check up and she decided that she wanted to send me for another ultrasound because my fundal height had not changed in 4 weeks and she wanted to check to make sure that the baby was growing at the correct weight. So the next morning I had my ultrasound appointment. While I was there, the sonographer measured my amniotic fluid level and noticed that it was measuring very low. She called in the head Sonographer to confirm this finding. They then proceeded to call my Dr. to see if she wanted to send me to the hospital. Well the Dr. said yes and off I went. I called Mike on the way and told him to meet me there.  I got to Fair Oaks Hospital around 10 am and Mike arrived there about 10:30. The nurse got me all checked in and hooked up to the monitors for fetal heart beat and contractions. My Dr. ordered another Sonogram at the hospital. This time my fluid level was measuring fine. So the Dr. asked Mike and I what we wanted to do. We looked at each other confused, as if we knew what we wanted to happen at that point. So Mike asked the Dr. what she wanted for us to do. She told us that the fluid level was fine, but since I had been on the monitor for the fetal heart rate the did not like how variable the rate was and that she would like to start inducing labor. Well that was that and we were on our way to bringing Baby Braunscheidel into the world.

I was taken to a room in Labor and Delivery around 4:00pm. Since I was not dilated yet they had to put a gel on my cervix to start the dilation process. The gel was to be on for 12 hours before they could start the Pitocin drip. At 4:00am I was given an IV for the Pitocin drip. Fast forward 12 more hours and I still was not dilating very quickly so the Dr decided to break my water to get me going a little faster. I got my epidural and they broke my water. Fast forward several more hours of waiting, watching tv, and posting messages on facebook and we still had not gotten very far. Finally at about 10:30 the nurse let us know that we had made it to that magic number of 10cm and it was time to start pushing. Mike started to get nervous at that point. There was no turning back now, this baby was coming.

The nurse told us it was time to start pushing, and she enlisted Mike’s help to hold my legs. It was just the nurse, Mike, and myself in the room when I started pushing. (Earlier in the day the nurse asked if anyone else was going to be in the room during delivery. We said no. She said that she thought that if you weren’t there when the baby was conceived than you should not be there when it comes out…haha we both agreed on that one) I pushed for about 12 minutes and it was time for the dr to be called in. The whole time I was pushing the nurse was talking to Mike and telling him what was going on. He said that he was told that he was to only stay up by the shoulders, well that didn’t happen..haha. The Dr. finally came in and in a couple more pushes the baby was out at 11:07 pm. Finally my marathon of 36 hours of labor was over and our beautiful baby girl was here!

We did not have a name right away. He had been going back and forth between two names. Finally the next morning, litterally 5 minutes before the Birth Certificate lady came in, we decided on Peyton Elizabeth. Those first couple of days was a whirlwind. We were discharged and then sent back due to her Bilirubin level being high, and then discharged again. We had family in town to visit and many hours of trying to learn about our little daughter. But we got through it and she is now 2 months old and we could not imagine our life without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment